Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Making Sock Monkeys

So far this year I have already made 17 Sock Monkeys.  Four were  requested and bought, two more were purchased, so the rest, including another10 or so that I have had are the start of my stock pile of Sock Monkeys!  Someone suggested that if I wanted to sell at a craft fair, I should have at least 100 Sock Monkeys ready before I go.  I have no idea how realistic that number is, but I figure why not?  I have about 23 Fuzzy Christmas Socks, around 20 or so Fuzzy Socks, and 10 Red Heel Socks so far to make Sock Monkeys, Sock Bears, Sock Bunnies, and whatever else I come up with.  I am hopeful that my Sock Monkeys would sell, but honestly if I only sell 10, I would be happy with that.  Most of the fairs around here, the "booth" rentals for the weekend are usually about $40 more or less depending on the event, so if I can make that plus a little for my time, I won't complain.  I know my Sock Monkeys are adorable and I do think that seeing them in person, touching them, hugging them they would literally sell themselves.  Pictures do not do them justice!  I found some cute little mini fuzzy socks and made all 6 of them into Sock Monkeys.


 They are SO CUTE!  My daughter kept one of them, and I think I am going back this weekend to buy more of those mini socks.  I think they would make the BEST mini Sock Bunnies for Easter.  I also made a How to Make a Sock Monkey Tutorial video with still photos, so as soon as I get it on YouTube, I will post it here too!  I didn't like the Tutorials I found even though I did get a few good tips from them, I still think my Sock Monkeys look better.  I know it seems kind of like shooting myself in the foot when I'm trying to sell mine as well, but at the same time, I don't really make them to make money off of them.  I tell everyone I who sees me making my Sock Monkeys anytime I'm at the Doctor's office or waiting for a long time that this is my therapy.  And it is.  Making these cute little Sock Monkeys, Sock Bears, Sock whatever makes me happy.  It has brought me through a tough time.  I put a lot of love and care into my Sock Monkeys, I hug them, I play with them a tiny bit to make sure they are durable, and they always make me smile.  What craft or hobby do you have that you pour your heart into?

No comments:

Post a Comment